NC Judging Director:
Web dev by
What's New ?
Review of USAG & NAWGJ changes
- Plan now to attend the Judges Critique Clinic Dec 16th at Nick's Flippin Kids in Clayton! If you have not participated in at least one of the two Judges Critique Clinics this year,
your Regional Congress and State Congress fees will not be paid next year. You must also judge at least one meet during the year in order for your fees to be paid.
- Contract Expiration Policy: When judges do not send their contracts in for their meets until the last minute (or worse, decline at the last minute) it causes
a lot of scrambling and last minute anxiety for the Assigner, Meet Refs and Meet Directors. To try to minimize this in the future,
we have agreed to the following change in policy.
- In the Judge Assigning System (GymJAS), you will see a red flag on any contract that has been outstanding for two (2) weeks.
- At this point, the Assigner will send a reminder email to you asking you to accept your contract.
- After one (1) more week, if you have still not accepted your contract, you will be removed from that meet.
- NEW VOUCHER SYSTEM: For vouchers this year, we will be switching to a model where the Meet Ref prints out the individual vouchers to give to the judges.
Each copy of the page has two forms on it, enough for two judges as they only need the single sheet.
The Meet Ref will also print off a fee summary sheet. At the meet, the Meet Ref will copy the information from the
individual judges' vouchers over to the fee summary sheet. The fee summary sheet will be turned in to the Meet Director, while the vouchers will be returned to the
judges as their record of the meet. (Use the above links to see the new sheets. Eventually these links will be moved to the Links & Docs page of this website.)
- Judges are not required to carpool and no subtraction of 30 miles is required when driving without a carpool.
However, judges are reminded to think through the possible effects of not carpooling including the increased costs to Meet Directors.
- Judges are expected to be at the meet site 30 min before March In, and compensation is now starting at Report Time.
However, if a judge is more than 5 minutes late in arriving at the Judge Meeting location, their pay for the day will commence at March-In, NOT Report Time.
- Testing Opportunity at Judges Cup in December at Nick's Flippin Kids! Anyone who needs to test can plan accordingly.
- There are several tight weekends in the spring. Please update your availability so that Cris can get the spring scheduled.
Some of our NC judges helping at Training Camp:
- If a Level 8 (or any optional gymnast) is spotted in pre-flight or support phase, the vault is Void.
Since Level 8 is the first level at which salto vaults can be performed, the 1.00 deduction for spotting in the post-flight is there to encourage coaches to “bump” the salto
when needed. While the intent was to keep the athletes safer on flipping vaults,
it is also applicable to any vault performed by Level 8’s. If the gymnast is spotted ALSO during the landing phase, the total deduction is 1.50.
- Requirement #3 for L6 Bars is the following: One 360° Clear Circling element from Groups 3, 6 or 7. It may NOT be an element performed
with hips on the bar during or at the completion of the circle. Front / back hip circles or sole circles do not fulfill this SR.
- The roundoff dismount on BB is now added as an 'A' skill.
- Bronze gymnast can NOT do a chasse + leap combination to meet the dance passage requirement. Other combinations that have been seen that do not
meet the requirement are leap + bent knee hop (from the compulsory routine), leap + straight jump. Neither the bent knee hop nor the straight jump are "A"s on floor and are not
listed on the Bronze skills chart.
- Be very aware of the front salto position. Gymnasts are not allowed to do a front pike until Platinum, since the Gold level
does not allow B saltos.
- If a coach provides verbal directions to the gymnast (for instance, saying "tuck jump" to a gymnast who forgets what to do next) the chief
judge should take the deduction on this routine rather than just giving a warning.
- A cartwheel-roundoff combination can be done without breaking the connection. Of course it depends on
foot placement and technique the gymnast demonstrates as in any connection, but many cartwheel-cartwheel or cartwheel-roundoff combinations have been
connected this season.
- On Bars, a Platinum gymnast can not do the swing with a half turn dismount (that IS allowed at Gold) since that dismount is not an
AAU membership code
Judges must have an AAU membership if they are going to judge an AAU meet. The NC AAU Gymnastics website has the links for AAU membership registration.
When you register, make sure that you use WYW8TE as the team code in order to link to the Team North Carolina league.
Please make sure to go to the NC AAU website to download any rule updates before arriving at your meet.